Wednesday, January 18, 2012

What Are We Speaking?

"...but speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in all aspects into Him who is the head..."
(Ephesians 4:15, NASB)

Just today, as I was speaking with the Lord, I voiced a desire of mine: that my mouth would speak only that which is truth, so that the pure things of God - His mysteries and His thoughts - which originate in His heart, would find my mouth to be an instrument through which they might find expression.

To carry and express His desires and longings, those things that weigh on His heart, is one of my prayers; and I know that the mechanism of its fruition is that, in Christ, I develop the strength and maturity to do so. And an aspect of that developmental process is that I speak the truth...in love, as Ephesians 4:15 commands; that I put away all evil speaking, letting no corrupt word proceed out of my mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers.  I want my Spirit to be a pure channel, untainted by the filth of this world, through which life-water can flow into those I meet.  I want my words to heal brokenness, not create it; to restore the ruins of a life ravaged by sin, not destroy what is left of them.  Instead of my words being the fire that incites needless controversy, I want them to be a refreshing drink to the soul, inspiring peace and communicating God's love.

No comments:

Post a Comment